Deprecated: Function session_register() is deprecated in /home/cdnph/public_html/photostore/news_details.php on line 15

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/cdnph/public_html/photostore/news_details.php:15) in /home/cdnph/public_html/photostore/news_details.php on line 49

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/cdnph/public_html/photostore/news_details.php:15) in /home/cdnph/public_html/photostore/news_details.php on line 50
Cebu Daily News | Cebu's Only Independent Newspaper
HOME NEWS EDITORIAL NEWS PHOTOS ABOUT US CAREERS FAQ CONTACT US
Today's Issue


Advertisement

Home News Details Newest Photos   Most Popular Photos
NEWS BRIEFS 7/18/2013




 
 
Mike frowns on council invitations on co-terminus staff



CEBU CITY MAYOR Michael Rama said it was unnecessary for the City Council to concur with the appointments of City Administrator Jose Marie Poblete and City Legal Office Jerone Castillo.

He said both were holding co-terminus positions and had been working with him in City Hall since 2010.

"Don’t they know by now who is Atty. Poblete and Castillo?" said Rama.

The mayor said that while he normally allows department heads to heed invitations to appear before the City Council, this was a different matter.

Councilor Sisinio Andales, the laws committee chairman, said that even co-terminus position holders still need the legislative body's nod. /Chief of Reporters Doric C. Bongcac




Mambaling fire survivors start rebuilding homes


THREE days after fired struck sitios Huyong-huyong and Tinabangay in barangay Alaska Mambaling last Sunday dawn, survivors are starting to rebuild their homes on the site.

With government food rations already consumed, most of the displaced families decided to vacate the sitio Viking gym which was used as an evacuation center. They returned to the sites of their burned homes.

City Administrator Jose Marie Poblete said they can do so after they were given free housing materials from City Hall as fire assistance. But those whose houses encroach on the main roads will have to wait longer.

The Department for Social Work gave three-days worth of food rations, some groceries, a pail, basin, blanket, , kitchen utensils to each family.

House owners were also given housing materials : ten sheets s of plywood and ten corrugated G.I. sheets for roofing.

Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama also handed out P10,000 cash assistance to each house owner. There were also donations from private groups and individuals. /Correspondent Jose Santino Bunachita




Anti-RH LAW groups prepare for next SC hearing


GROUPS opposed to the Reproductive Health Law are happy with the ruling of the Supreme Court that indefinitely suspended the implementation of the law signed by President Benigno Simeon Aquino III in December 2012.

Human Life International Director Dr. Rene Bullecer said that they called for an emergency meeting last night to create a more convincing presentation in the next round of oral arguments in the High Court on July 23.

Archbishop Emeritus Ricardo Cardinal Vidal, said that the extension of suspending the said law will give hope to pro-life advocates.

“If there was an extension, I am glad that there was no hurry. At least our side will have time to question the law,” said Vidal.

Last Tuesday, the SC issued a status quo ante order by a vote of 8-7. /Correspondent Apple Ta-as




[Back]
Copyright © 2014 Cebu Daily News . All Rights Reserved.